Cast news

At the Shotglass we like to keep up with what our favourite Losties are getting up to. Interviews with cast members about Lost or other side projects will be posted as and when they are released.

If you have a story for the page, or just want more stories featured on a certain cast member, email
  • Toni
  • or
  • Niki

  • Friday, April 25, 2008

    Get to know...REBECCA MADER (CHARLOTTE)

    For Rebecca Mader, Los Angeles is a long way from her native England. Since her arrival, her acting career has taken off, but she still has one troubling dilemma... she just can't seem to find a good cup of tea in the U.S. The British-born actress says even though she buys tea bags from English grocery stores in Santa Monica, they fail to whet her taste buds. "There's something about not being able to make a proper cup of tea outside of England," Mader playfully muses. "We all sort of whine about it, but I've come to realize the water and the milk are what change it. The first thing I do when I get off the plane at Heathrow and get to my sister and mum is [demand a proper cup of tea]."

    Mader's inability to satiate her tea cravings seems a small price to pay for the success she's experiencing stateside. A newbie on Lost this season, Mader has quickly developed a following among the show's loyal supporters and often finds herself being recognized in public, which she describes as "really weird" and "really funny." "I got spotted this morning in Staples buying some office supplies," she says in amusement.

    On Lost, Mader plays Charlotte Lewis, a member of a rescue team who has landed on the island with a set of ulterior motives. Mader says portraying a character shrouded in mystery fascinates her. "In a way, it's actually quite liberating, and it's really freeing. I get to create my character along with the writers."

    Although this is Mader's first season on Lost, years of hard work underlie her current stint in the spotlight. At age 18, she began her career as a model in the hopes that it would lead her to becoming an actress. "I started modeling first, because I couldn't afford to go to drama school," she explains. "I thought I'd do it for a year or two, save up some money and then go to university. But it takes so long to get established in the fashion world. One year became two [and two] years became three. Then, I was making money. I thought that maybe I was supposed to do that for a while and then it would take me to America and I could get into the business in America."

    While Mader points out that there are more differences than similarities between modeling and acting, she credits some of her modeling jobs for helping her develop an appreciation for quality storytelling. "In certain photo shoots, it's just not about standing there and trying to look pretty in a dress. A good editorial photo shoot usually has an art director, and there's a story that you're telling. Even though it's about fashion, there's still an artistic element to it. Those were really the only shoots I enjoyed. I wanted to be an actress, so those were the times when I got to shine and have a good time at work."

    Once Mader moved to the U.S., she was finally able to parlay her modeling experience into acting. "In this country, as a model, to be able to do TV commercials, you have to be with a TV agency. I went in and started working with them and said, 'I can act.'... It was sort of an easy backdoor transition."

    With several acting projects now gracing her resume, Mader drew the attention of the Lost staff when she auditioned for Executive Producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse. "They did not have me in mind, so I had to explain to them that it was a good idea that it should be me," she says.

    "She told us she had read 'The Secret' and was thusly willing herself into the role," Lindelof lightheartedly recalls of Mader's audition. "Carlton and I were powerless against the cosmic hand of positive thinking."

    Mader's optimistic outlook may be one of her most endearing qualities, but her real "secret" is that she has that rare blend of charisma and talent that translates to compelling on-screen performances. Whether in England or the U.S., that is one combination that always leads to success.

    No comments: